Wednesday, September 23, 2026

ESL WORKSHEET - Talking about housework

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS
HOUSEWORK HABITS


Sep. 17, 2026


Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: People and Places; Everyday Objects; Challenges; Speaking; Vocabulary Lesson; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 09/17/2026

In this lesson, students develop their conversational skills by talking about housework. They start the lesson by discussing a picture to establish the context and answering a set of personalized questions to engage with the topic. The students then identify different verb phrases to describe housework tasks and practice the language in varied activities and games. They then develop their listening skills by hearing the language in context with two people describing their housework habits. They complete a comprehension task before planning and sharing their own housework habits. There is a focus on the difference between make-and-do and practice tasks. The lesson finishes with a game to develop fluency and review the vocabulary. (by V. Aitken)

  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 1 in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 2 in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 3 in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 1 in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 2 in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 3 in British English.

AUDIO TRANSCRIPTS

AUDIO 1 - TASK 6
ONE
Jake: I live alone, so I’m the only one who makes a mess. I’m actually very neat and tidy. I don’t like cluttered spaces. I make my bed as soon as I get up in the morning. I always do the dishes after a meal, especially in the evening, as I don’t like going to bed with dirty dishes in the sink. I have two cats, so I feed them twice a day. I do the laundry once a week, but I rarely do any ironing. I only do it if I have an important meeting or event. The garbage man come on Fridays, so I take out the garbage every Thursday night.
TWO
Fran: I’m constantly doing housework. I have three boys, and I am always tidying up after them. They leave their stuff all over the place. We can never find anything. I have to do the laundry at least three times a week as they always get their clothes dirty. They do some jobs in the house. They clear the table and sweep the floor every day. I spend a lot of time making meals. I don’t mind doing the ironing because I put on a podcast and switch off for about an hour.

AUDIO 2 - TASK 8 (GROUP 1)
1) I am tired, but I need to do some exercise.
2) She makes the best chocolate brownies.
3) I completely forgot to do my homework.
4) My neighbors make so much noise!
5) Do you know how to make bread?
6) You will need some gloves to do the gardening.

AUDIO 3 - TASK 8 (GROUP 2)
1) We are doing a project on global warming.
2) I always make mistakes when I speak Spanish, but at least I try.
3) Can you go grocery shopping when you finish work?
4) You will need to fill out this form to make a complaint.
5) I am doing a course in art, and I am really enjoying it.
6) Your dog is making a mess on my floor.

Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/housework-habits. Accessed on September 23, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESL WORKSHEET - Books and movies (films)

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS TALKING ABOUT BOOKS AND MOVIES LinguaHouse Sep. 18, 2026 Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1) Type of language: ...