LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERSTALKING ABOUT WANTS AND DREAMS
Aug. 20, 2026
Level: Elementary (A1-A2)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Describing Goals and Challenges; Describing Feelings and Behavior; Behavior, Feelings and Emotions; Routines and Activities; Challenges; Speaking; Vocabulary Lesson; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 08/20/2026
Students develop conversational skills in this lesson by discussing their wants and dreams. The students start by describing four images to engage with the topic. They then identify and practice subject-related phrases before developing their listening skills by hearing five people talk about their hopes and dreams. They then focus on the use of want to and would like to and complete a variety of student-centered, communicative tasks to practice the language. They then complete a group speaking task to develop the language further. There is an additional speaking task and a final describing game to review the lesson. (by Victoria Aitken)
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.
AUDIO TRANSCRIPT
Speaker 1: Well… I want to leave my job and start a new business. I want to open a small café. I have dreamed about it for years. I want to sell cakes and coffee.
Speaker 2: I want to live abroad. Somewhere warm. I don’t like being cold and the weather here is terrible. I’d like to live in Australia or New Zealand.
Speaker 3: I’d like to travel the world. There are so many countries I want to visit. I’d like to go on a safari in Africa and see all the animals in the wild.
Speaker 4: I’d like to spend less time on the Internet. I don’t want to spend all day looking at a screen. I’d like to learn a new skill. Something outdoors like gardening. Or learn how to play a sport well.
Speaker 5: I want to be a famous actor. I want to be on TV or in a movie. I am taking acting classes, and I practice every day.
Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/talking-about-wants-and-dreams. Accessed on September 8, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:
Post a Comment