LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERSTALKING ABOUT BOOKS AND MOVIES
Sep. 18, 2026
Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Describing Films/Movies; People and Places; Entertainment; The Media; Hobby; Speaking; Vocabulary Lesson; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old
Publication date: 09/18/2026
In this lesson, students develop their conversational skills by talking about books and movies. To engage with the topic, they start the lesson by learning and responding to two common phrases. They then learn and differentiate a set of subject-related vocabulary and review genres. The students develop their listening skills by listening to two conversations about books and movies and completing a comprehension task. Using the context, the students notice the use of adjectives to describe different genres. They then practice and produce the language by describing an enjoyable book or movie they have watched or read. There is a final speaking task which reinforces the use of the present perfect to talk about movie and book experiences. There is a final game to develop fluency and review the language from the lesson. (by V. Aitken)
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.
AUDIO TRANSCRIPT
Conversation 1
Speaker A: Have you seen any good movies recently? I could do with some recommendations.
Speaker B: How about the Hangover sequel? It isn’t as good as the first one, but it is still hilarious. I think there might be a third and final one too, but I haven’t seen it.
Speaker A: I’m not really in the mood for a comedy, how about an action movie? I want to watch something thrilling and fast-paced.
Speaker B: What about Bullet Train?
Speaker A: What’s it about?
Speaker B: It’s about five assassins who are all on the same bullet train in Japan.
Speaker A: Who’s in it?
Speaker B: Brad Pitt and Sandra Bullock. I don’t remember the names of the other actors. It’s action-packed. The plot is a bit confusing, so you have to pay attention, but the ending is excellent.
Speaker A: I think I might have seen the trailer for that. It looks good. Thanks, I’m going to watch it tonight.
Conversation 2
Speaker C: Have you ever read Psycho, by Robert Bloch?
Speaker D: Yes, twice! Did you like it?
Speaker C: Yes, I did. The main character, Norman, is crazy.
Speaker D: I know. It’s such a terrifying story. I couldn’t put it down. I love horror novels. My favorite author is Stephen King. Have you read any of his books?
Speaker C: I've read The Shining, but I had nightmares afterwards. I've seen the movie too, but it is very different.
Speaker D: It is, but it’s good and still scary. It’s the same with Psycho, the director Alfred Hitchcock created an incredible adaptation.
Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/talking-about-books-and-films. Accessed on September 23, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.
Speaker A: Have you seen any good movies recently? I could do with some recommendations.
Speaker B: How about the Hangover sequel? It isn’t as good as the first one, but it is still hilarious. I think there might be a third and final one too, but I haven’t seen it.
Speaker A: I’m not really in the mood for a comedy, how about an action movie? I want to watch something thrilling and fast-paced.
Speaker B: What about Bullet Train?
Speaker A: What’s it about?
Speaker B: It’s about five assassins who are all on the same bullet train in Japan.
Speaker A: Who’s in it?
Speaker B: Brad Pitt and Sandra Bullock. I don’t remember the names of the other actors. It’s action-packed. The plot is a bit confusing, so you have to pay attention, but the ending is excellent.
Speaker A: I think I might have seen the trailer for that. It looks good. Thanks, I’m going to watch it tonight.
Conversation 2
Speaker C: Have you ever read Psycho, by Robert Bloch?
Speaker D: Yes, twice! Did you like it?
Speaker C: Yes, I did. The main character, Norman, is crazy.
Speaker D: I know. It’s such a terrifying story. I couldn’t put it down. I love horror novels. My favorite author is Stephen King. Have you read any of his books?
Speaker C: I've read The Shining, but I had nightmares afterwards. I've seen the movie too, but it is very different.
Speaker D: It is, but it’s good and still scary. It’s the same with Psycho, the director Alfred Hitchcock created an incredible adaptation.
Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/talking-about-books-and-films. Accessed on September 23, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:
Post a Comment