Tuesday, September 22, 2026

ESL WORKSHEET - Education and work experience

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND WORK


Sep. 17, 2026


Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Education, Teaching, and Learning; Society and Change; Describing a Job; Office Life; Challenges; Jobs; Vocabulary Lesson; Speaking; Past Tenses; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 09/17/2026

In this lesson, students develop their conversational skills by talking about their education, training, and work experience. They start the lesson by discussing a set of personalized questions. They then identify different subjects and a set of related collocations before practicing the language in a variety of student-centered activities. They then develop their listening skills by hearing the language in context with three people describing their education and work history. They complete a comprehension task before planning their own descriptions. The students then share their stories in a group task. The lesson finishes with a game to develop fluency and review the vocabulary. (by Vicky Aitken)

  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.

AUDIO TRANSCRIPT

Speaker 1: I hated school and knew I didn’t want to go to university. I wanted to own my own hair salon, so I decided to train to be a hairdresser. I did a two-year course. I really enjoyed it because it was all practical. There were exams at the end of each term, but I revised and managed to pass them all. After the course, I got a job in a local salon and worked there for five years. I worked hard, gained experience, and saved my money. In 2018, I opened my own salon, and it is doing well.
Speaker 2: I went to university to study marketing. I knew I wanted a business career. After I got my degree, I moved to the city, and after many interviews, I finally got a job in an international company. I have been working there for six years. I work long hours, but I earn good money. I attend regular training sessions to keep up to date on all the new developments and software. I also get to travel all around the world on business trips. I am not sure I want to be doing this all my life, but for now, I am enjoying it.
Speaker 3: I have always found languages interesting. I went to a bilingual elementary school, so I speak English and French and in high school, I studied Spanish. I currently have a B2 level diploma, but I plan to take an exam next month to achieve a C1 level. In September I start university. I am doing a course in Modern languages. I would like to work as a translator one day.

Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/education-training-and-work. Accessed on September 22, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESL WORKSHEET - Education and work experience

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS EDUCATION, TRAINING AND WORK LinguaHouse Sep. 17, 2026 Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1) Type of language: Ge...