Tuesday, September 8, 2026

ESL WORKSHEET - Making an informal phone call

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS
CALLING FRIENDS


Aug. 20, 2026


Level: Elementary (A1-A2)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Leaving and Taking Phone Messages; Making and Receiving a Phone Call; People and Places; Socializing; Speaking; Vocabulary Lesson; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 08/20/2026

Students develop conversational skills in this lesson by practicing how to make an informal telephone call. They start by discussing a series of questions to personalize and engage with the topic. They then learn and practice telephone-related vocabulary before listening to three phone calls. They complete a variety of comprehension questions before identifying the language used to make informal calls. They then practice the phrases in a variety of student-centered activities and games. They then complete a communicative roleplay task to consolidate the language. There is a final describing game to review the lesson. (by Victoria Aitken)

  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.

AUDIO TRANSCRIPT

ONE
Son: Hi mom. Is dad there?
Mom: Just a second, I’ll get him.
Dad: Hi Ben, everything ok?
Son: Can you pick me up, please? I missed the bus. I’m downtown.
Dad: OK, I will be there in fifteen minutes.

TWO
Voicemail: … I’m sorry I can’t take your call right now. Please, leave a message.
John: Hey Lisa? Where are you? The meeting starts in five minutes. I will tell the boss you are on the way. Call me back.

THREE
Sue: Hey Tom, What’s up?
Tom: Hey, did you get the concert tickets for next week?
Sue: No, the store was closed. I’ll go back tomorrow.
Tom: OK... but... Oh, there’s another call coming through. I have to go.
Sue: OK, bye. I’ll let you know when I get them.

Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/calling-friends. Accessed on September 8, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For a song

FOR A SONG O que significa essa expressão em INGLÊS A expressão for a song significa comprar ou vender algo por um valor muito baixo, ou s...