LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERSGIVING AND RECEIVING COMPLIMENTS
Aug. 25, 2026
Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Behavior, Feelings and Emotions; Describing People; People and Places; Challenges; Speaking; Vocabulary Lesson; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 08/25/2026
In this lesson, students develop their conversational skills by practicing how to give and receive compliments. They start the lesson by identifying the context and discussing why people give compliments. In groups, they then answer questions to personalize the topic. The students develop their listening skills by hearing a range of compliments and then using the examples they identify the functional language used. They then practice the language in various communicative and student-centered activities including a Pelmanism game and a roleplay task. The lesson finishes with a speaking game to develop fluency and review the vocabulary. (by Victoria Aitken)
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.
AUDIO TRANSCRIPT
ONE
Speaker A: Your performance was amazing. You have a great voice.
Speaker B: Thank you, that means a lot!
TWO
Speaker C: Did you draw this? You are talented.
Speaker D: I don’t think so but thank you for saying so.
THREE
Speaker A: That meal was delicious. I will have to get the recipe from you.
Speaker B: That’s kind of you to say. Of course, it’s really easy.
FOUR
Speaker C: Wow, your hair looks fantastic. That style really suits you.
Speaker D: Do you think so? Thank you. I’m not sure about it yet.
FIVE
Speaker A: Great work on the presentation Jim. It was excellent and I learned a lot.
Speaker B: Thanks, I really appreciate that, I worked hard on it.
SIX
Speaker C: You are so kind and helpful.
Speaker D: That’s sweet, thank you.
Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/giving-and-receiving-compliments. Accessed on September 8, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:
Post a Comment