Tuesday, September 8, 2026

ESL WORKSHEET - Cars and vehicles

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS
IS ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE INCLUDED?


Aug. 20, 2026


Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Travel and Leisure; Business Travel; Cars and Vehicles; Transport; People and Places; Speaking; Pronunciation; Vocabulary Lesson; Question Tags; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 08/20/2026

In this lesson, students will look at some situations that could happen in a car rental company, then listen to dialogues that take place in these locations. They will then focus on key phrases they can use in such situations, and practice dialogues in similar contexts. (by Edward Alden)

  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 1 in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 2 in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 1 in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 2 in British English.

AUDIO TRANSCRIPTS

AUDIO 1 - TASK 3

ONE

Receptionist: …Right, we work with a local rental company, so they can drop the car off right here at the hotel.
Guest: That sounds perfect. Insurance is included in the price, isn’t it?
Receptionist: Basic insurance is, but if you want full coverage make sure you add that when you confirm the booking.
Guest: Are you saying I’ll need to pay extra?
Receptionist: I’m sorry, that’s all I know. You can confirm that before you sign your contract with them.
Guest: Oh, great. What kind of documents do I need?
Receptionist: You will be required to show your driving license and passport when they deliver the vehicle.

TWO
Agent: Welcome! You booked a minivan car for three days, didn’t you?
Tourist: Yes! Do I need to return it with a full tank?
Agent: Yes, you’re expected to refill the tank before drop-off.
Tourist: Got it. Is roadside assistance included?
Agent: It is, and there’s a 24-hour support line in case of any issue.
Tourist: Does it have air conditioning and a rear camera?
Agent: I’m afraid it doesn’t. But we can find another model with everything you want.
Tourist: Would that be ok?
Agent: Of course! I’ll just print a new contract. We do encourage all customers to read the full rental terms and check what’s included.

THREE
Travel Agent: …It’s a road trip, isn’t it? So, I recommend renting a convertible, then.
Client: Great! Is there a mileage limit?
Travel Agent: Yes, that’ll be 200 mile daily, but you can add unlimited mileage for a fee.
Client: Sure. What about tolls?
Travel Agent: Most cars come with an electronic toll pass. You’ll be charged automatically at the end.
Client: There’s another thing, I’ll need a child seat as well.
Travel Agent: Child seats are available on request —It’s important that you let us know when booking. You’ll book it in advance, won’t you?

FOUR
Tourist: We’re not familiar with the area… should we rent a car or take public transport?
Guide: Renting gives you more flexibility. Don’t forget to check the parking signs — some areas require a permit.
Tourist: Are automatic cars available?
Guide: Yes, but you should request it in advance. Most rentals here are manual.
Tourist: OK, I’ll keep that in mind.
Guide: And remember, you must carry your rental agreement at all times.

FIVE
Guest: I can leave the car at the hotel, can't I?
Receptionist: Yes, the company picks it up from our garage. Just leave the keys at the front desk, will you?
Guest: Do I need to clean it?
Receptionist: No cleaning is required, sir. That's included.
Guest: What if I’m late?
Receptionist: There’s a 30-minute grace period, be sure to let us know or late returns may be charged.

AUDIO 2 - TASK 5

It includes basic insurance, doesn’t it? (rising intonation)
You’ll book it in advance, won’t you? (falling intonation)
Let us know if you’ll be late, will you? (rising intonation)
You’re not going to forget your license, are you? (rising intonation)
You’ve checked the rental terms, haven’t you? (falling intonation)
It’s an automatic transmission, isn’t it? (falling intonation)
You read the terms before signing, didn’t you? (falling intonation)
You’re not traveling with children, are you? (rising intonation)
We can request a baby seat, can’t we? (rising intonation)

Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/is-roadside-assistance-included. Accessed on September 8, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For a song

FOR A SONG O que significa essa expressão em INGLÊS A expressão for a song significa comprar ou vender algo por um valor muito baixo, ou s...