LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERSTALKING ABOUT APPS
Jun. 23, 2026
Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Science and Technology; Gadgets and Inventions; Information Technology (IT); AI Technology; Speaking; Vocabulary Lesson; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 06/23/2026
In this lesson, students develop their conversational skills by discussing the use of mobile apps. The lesson starts with an interactive speaking task about apps in general followed by a categorizing activity with different groups of apps. The students then develop their listening skills by listening to people being interviewed about their app use. They complete gist and detailed questions before focusing on and describing a set of topic-related vocabulary. The students finish the lesson by consolidating and personalizing the language in a class survey and learning some phrases to report survey findings. There is an additional speaking task which involves the students discussing a possible future app. (by Victoria Aitken)
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.
AUDIO TRANSCRIPT
ONE
Speaker 1: Google Maps. I drive a lot for work, and I always use it to work out my travel times and the fastest route. It’s very handy.
Speaker 2: I'm addicted to Instagram! I love looking at people’s photos and it is a great way to connect with like-minded people.
Speaker 3: Viber is my favorite app because I can keep in touch with friends and family who live all around the world.
Speaker 4: It has changed the way I communicate with my family, so I would say WhatsApp! We chat every day and share photos and videos. It is much better and safer than Facebook and Instagram.
Speaker 5: Google. I can find everything instantly. It is such a useful tool.
Speaker 6: The Calendar app for sure. I use it for all my meetings and deadlines. I get notifications before to remind me. I would be lost without it.
TWO
Speaker 1: Rarely. I feel like it’s a waste of time.
Speaker 2: I spend hours scrolling through posts especially at night when I should be in bed.
Speaker 3: All the time. I love chatting with my friends after school. I always send emojis.
Speaker 4: Most of my apps are on my tablet so not very often. I try not to put many on my phone as I find them distracting.
Speaker 5: There are some apps like Uber, train times, and food delivery that I use daily. They are so convenient and make my life much easier.
Speaker 6: Day and night. I am constantly using my phone for something.
Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/talking-about-apps. Accessed on August 3, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:
Post a Comment