Monday, August 3, 2026

ESL WORKSHEET - Asking for permission

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS
ASKING FOR PERMISSION


Jul. 22, 2026


Level: Starter (A0-A1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Problems and Solutions; Work; Vocabulary Lesson; Modal Verbs; Speaking; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 07/22/2026

In this lesson, students develop their conversational skills by practicing how to ask for permission and give a response. First, the students are introduced to the topic by discussing a set of images. They then complete a pre-listening task to identify key vocabulary before listening to four conversations. They complete comprehension tasks to understand the different contexts and then focus on the functional language. The students then discover the language used for asking, giving, and refusing permission and practice it in various interactive activities. They finish the lesson by taking part in a roleplay task. There is a final game to review the language. (by Victoria Aitken)

  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
  • CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.

AUDIO TRANSCRIPT

CONVERSATION 1
Girl: Excuse me, can I ask a question?
Librarian: Yeah, of course. Go ahead.
Girl: Do you have the new James Patterson book?
Librarian: Let me check.

CONVERSATION 2
Son: Mom, can I watch TV?
Mother: No, sorry, you have homework to do.
Son: Can I watch TV after I finish my homework?
Mother: Sure, but only for one hour.

CONVERSATION 3
Worker: Mrs. Davis, could I leave work early today?
Mrs. Davis: I’m afraid you can’t. We are too busy. You can leave early tomorrow.
Worker: Oh, OK. Thanks.

CONVERSATION 4
Waiter: Sorry, you can’t sit there. It is reserved.
Woman: Oh, may I sit here?
Waiter: Yes, no problem.
Woman: Thank you.

Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/asking-for-permission. Accessed on August 3, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESL WORKSHEET - Verb patterns

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS GRAMMAR A2-B1: VERB PATTERNS LinguaHouse Aug. 14, 2026 Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1) Type of language: Ge...