LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERSCAN I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT?
Jul. 31, 2026
Level: Starter (A0-A1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: Making and Cancelling an Arrangement; Making and Receiving a Phone Call; Telephoning - Starting and Ending a Call; People and Places; Jobs; Vocabulary Lesson; Speaking; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 07/31/2026
In this lesson, students develop their conversational skills by practicing how to make an appointment. First, the students engage with the topic by identifying different types of appointments. They then develop their listening skills by hearing two conversations of people making appointments and completing comprehension tasks to understand the dialogue. They then discover the language used for making appointments and practice the language in a variety of student-centered activities before completing two productive activities. There is a final game to review the language. (by V. Aitken)
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 1 in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 2 in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 1 in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio 2 in British English.
AUDIO TRANSCRIPTS
ONE (Task 2)
Speaker A: Good morning, welcome to Heathcote Medical Center, how can I help?
Speaker B: Hello, I would like to make an appointment today to see Doctor Sharp, please. I have a very bad headache and a high temperature.
Speaker A: I’m afraid we don’t have any appointments today.
Speaker B: Oh no!
Speaker A: We have an appointment tomorrow at 9:30. Is that OK?
Speaker B: OK. Tomorrow at 9:30 is fine.
Speaker A: I just need to take some details. Can I take your name, please?
Speaker B: Yes, of course. It’s Miss Rachel Henley.
Speaker A: Can you spell that, please?
Speaker B: R-A-C-H-E-L H-E-N-L-E-Y.
Speaker A: Great, we will see you tomorrow, Miss Henley.
TWO (Task 2)
Speaker A: Good afternoon, Quick Fix. How may I help?
Speaker B: I want to change two tires; can I make an appointment to bring in my car?
Speaker A: Sure. Are you available on Saturday the 12th at 9 am?
Speaker B: Yes, that’s ok.
Speaker A: OK, Can I take your name please, and a telephone number?
Speaker B: Sure, it’s Jim Grant. My number is (778) 998-0344.
Speaker A: Great, that’s confirmed. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Speaker B: No, that’s all. Thanks.
Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/can-i-make-an-appointment. Accessed on August 17, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:
Post a Comment