LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERSTHAT’S PART OF THEIR CULTURE
Aug. 7, 2026
Level: Pre-intermediate (A2-B1)
Type of language: General English
Tags: People and Places; Travel and Leisure; Nations and Nationalities; Companies and Jobs; Vocabulary Lesson; Speaking; 13-15 Years Old; 16-18 Years Old; 18+ Years Old
Publication date: 08/07/2026
In this lesson, students will look at some cultural differences and how to deal with them. They’ll listen to people from different backgrounds talking about it. They will then focus on key phrases they can use in such situations, and practice dialogues in similar contexts. (by Edward Alden)
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in American English.
- CLICK HERE to download the student’s worksheet in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download the teacher’s lesson plan in British English.
- CLICK HERE to download/listen to the audio in British English.
AUDIO TRANSCRIPT
A store clerk
Speaker 1: We meet people from all over the world here, and one thing I’ve learned is that not everyone has the same habits when it comes to shopping. For example, in countries like Morocco or Turkey, people tend to negotiate the price before they buy something. Here, we try to be friendly and helpful. If someone wants to talk about the price, we are happy to listen. It’s never about arguing. I understand customs vary, and I'm happy to explain anything. I usually say: “I understand that in some places people negotiate, but here the price on the label is the final price, I’m afraid” and they usually understand.
A hotel receptionist
Speaker 2: In some cultures, people often call each other by their given name, like here in Brazil. By and large, people in Brazil can be informal and open when meeting others. But in other cultures, like in Japan, people prefer to be more formal. They often use titles and last names, especially in professional situations or when speaking to someone older. It’s important to be polite and respect what people are used to. So, when a guest checks in, I always ask how they would like to be called. That way, we can make everyone feel comfortable.
A tour guide
Speaker 3: I’ve noticed that cultural differences about the time and schedule can sometimes create small problems. In general, it’s common for German tourists to arrive early and expect everything to start on time. Spanish tourists, unlike Germans, are usually more relaxed about time. Because of this, I always try to explain things clearly before a tour. I usually say something like: “Just so you know, things sometimes run a little late here. It’s not a problem, it’s just how things work in this culture. I’ll always tell you when it's important to be on time.” This helps me avoid misunderstandings and makes sure that everyone feels comfortable. Understanding these differences is really important when you work with people from all over the world.
A restaurant host
Speaker 4: It’s funny how something as simple as the time you eat can be very different depending on the culture. On the whole, people in Sweden have dinner quite early – around 6 or 7 p.m. They’re used to eating earlier in the evening. In Argentina, for the most part, it's the opposite. Dinner often starts very late, sometimes after 9 or even 10 p.m. People from different backgrounds may have different expectations, so we always check. For Swedish guests, I make sure the kitchen is ready earlier. For Argentine guests, I don’t worry if they arrive later than usual – that’s part of their culture.
A waiter
Speaker 5: Something that I see quite often is how people from different countries see service differently and how it sometimes leads to awkward situations. Typically, Americans leave an extra amount after paying the bill – usually around 15% to 20%. But in Japan, generally speaking, it might be considered rude. France is somewhere in between. A service charge is usually included in the bill, but people sometimes leave a small tip as a thank you – maybe a euro or two. When I serve international guests, I might say something like: “In some countries, it’s normal to leave a little extra, while in others, that’s not expected. Here, it’s totally up to you – no pressure at all.”
Adapted from: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/thats-part-of-their-culture. Accessed on August 13, 2026. LinguaHouse.com © 2008–2026. All rights reserved.

No comments:
Post a Comment