Wednesday, December 15, 2021

LISTENING - Learning English

THE ENGLISH WE SPEAK
NOT LOOKING TOO CLEVER


BBC LEARNING ENGLISH
Episode 211213
Dec. 13, 2021


SUMMARY

If someone’s 'not looking too clever' are we doubting their intelligence? Join Jiaying and Neil to discover the real meaning of this confusing expression.



TRANSCRIPT

Jiaying: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I’m Jiaying…

Neil: ...and I’m Neil.

Jiaying: Oh, Neil, you don’t sound too good.

Neil: I’m not, but I’ve got to keep going because I’ve been learning Spanish at an evening course, and I’ve got an exam tonight.

Jiaying: Oh dear – maybe you shouldn’t do it. I have to admit you don’t look too clever.

Neil: Well, that’s not very encouraging – you’re supposed to say ‘good luck, you’ll be great’. I have been studying it for a long time.

Jiaying: I was being sympathetic, Neil. ‘Not looking or feeling too clever’ means not looking or feeling very well – you look ill!

Neil: Oh, you didn’t mean I am stupid!

Jiaying: No – although I am beginning to wonder. I think you should take some medicine and go to bed while we listen to these examples.

Neil: Maybe.

EXAMPLES
  • I think you should go and see a doctor – you’re not looking too clever.
  • I’m not feeling too clever today, so I think I’ll take the day off.
  • She’s not looking clever, so I suggest we send her home.

Jiaying: This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we’re hearing about the expression ‘not looking or not feeling too clever’. It’s an informal way of describing not looking or feeling ill. And Neil, as I said, you don’t look clever…

Neil: Actually, I don’t really feel clever – or smart 
 either.

Jiaying: I get it – is this an excuse not to do your Spanish exam?

Neil: Ha ha – you’re not stupid! Yes, I think the stress of doing this exam has made me ill.

Jiaying: Oh dear. Why don’t you go and revise now, then you’ll feel clever and look clever as well.

Neil: Maybe. See you later.

Jiaying: Bye. Good luck!

Neil: ¡Gracias!

Adapted from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/features/the-english-we-speak/ep-211213. Accessed on December 15, 2021. Copyright © 2021 BBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESL WORKSHEET - Product development (II)

LESSON PLAN FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS INNOVATION AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (PART II) LinguaHouse May 9, 2024 Level: Intermediate (B1-B2) Type of E...