Thursday, August 5, 2021

ESL WORKSHEET 2

MAN’S BEST FRIEND


May 9, 2021


Level: Pre-Intermediate (A2-B1)

Type of English: General English

Tags: Animals Environment and Nature; Relationships; Be/Get Used To Doing; Used To + Infinitive; Vocabulary and Grammar

Publication date: 05/09/2021

Students categorize arguments for and against having a pet before listening to a conversation about how a pet has changed someone’s life. The language point is used to + verb, for describing past actions and states that are no longer true. Students practice this in a “guess the pet” speaking activity. There is an optional extension activity about dog equipment and accessories.

by Stephanie Hirschman

AUDIO TRANSCRIPT

George: Hey, Kim! I haven’t seen you for ages!
Kim: Hi, George! It’s been at least 18 months!
George: You look great!
Kim: Thanks! I feel great.
George: And who’s this?
Kim: This is Pep.
George: I didn’t know you had a dog.
Kim: Well, I’ve had Pep for six months now.
George: I sometimes think about getting a dog.
Kim: Well, you should. It’s amazing. Pep has really changed my life a lot.
George: Oh yeah? How?
Kim: Well, I guess the main change is that I get a lot more exercise now. I used to sit in front of the computer all day and then watch TV in the evenings. But now I go out for walks with Pep two or three times a day.
George: I’m not sure I have time to do that.
Kim: Oh, you’ll find time. I used to think that I was busy too, but the problem was that I didn’t use to have a good daily routine. Now I get up at six and go out with Pep. It’s a great start to the day, and I still have time to work.
George: My grandmother used to have a dog when I was a kid. I really loved that dog. He was my best friend.
Kim: Yeah, I love Pep so much. Spending time with her really helps me relax. I used to be so stressed. And Pep has helped me make a lot of new friends too. I didn’t use to know any of my neighbors, but now everyone wants to stop and talk to me. What kind of dog did your grandmother use to have?
George: A poodle. You know, my grandmother lived to be 100, and I’m sure it was because she had a dog.
Kim: Probably. Anyway, I’ve got to go now. Pep needs her exercise. Maybe I’ll see you again soon…with a dog?
George: Maybe. Bye!

Source: https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/general-english/mans-best-friend. Accessed on July 19, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me introduce you...

INTRODUCE TO O QUE SIGNIFICA ESTE PHRASAL VERB ? By Ivy do Carmo Figueiredo MAIRO VERGARA May 8, 2024 Alguns verbos da Língua Inglesa são ...